At CMU, academic advising is more than just choosing courses that fit your timetable. It's also about ...
• knowing your options and keeping doors open until you choose your major
• strategizing so that you can complete your degree with the timing that works best for you
• choosing courses that appeal to your passions
CMU Academic Advising Details
The Coordinator of Student Advising assigns each student a faculty advisor who is their academic mentor. In addition to faculty, the Coordinator of Student Advising is on hand to consider CMU degree and pre-professional options with students. All professors are able to advise students about discipline-specific questions and options.
2. Choosing Courses
New students will receive advising from their Admissions Counsellor regarding their course choices. Transfer and returning students are welcome to seek advising from the Coordinator of Student Advising and/or their faculty advisor regarding their course choices.
3. Academic Support Services
CMU offers several ways in which students may receive additional assistance to help them to be successful in their studies.
Contact the Coordinator of Student Advising at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
• Peer tutors – A student is connected with a peer tutor (usually an upper level student) who has aptitude and experience in the course where help is needed. The student pays the tutor an hourly stipend.
• Essay Coaches – upper level students are available to work with students on their essays. These students volunteer their time to coach students on essay planning, research, and writing.
• Student Learning Assistant – a professional is available to work with students one day/week. This person offers academic counselling, time management skills, and overall strategizing.
4. Writing Resources
a. The Academic Writing Lab is a requirement for all students at CMU, and offers an introduction to university level writing. Included in this lab are sessions on research, documentation, essay writing, the CMU Library, and more.
b. Essay Coaches – upper level students are available to work with students on their essays. These students volunteer their time to coach students on essay planning, research, and writing.
5. Career Advising
a. Program index page - a list of all the programs we offer at CMU
b. Career Cruising - Career Cruising is a useful online tool provided to CMU by the Manitoba government to help post-secondary students think through their career plans. Go to www.careercruising.com and sign in with CMU's username and password. They are as follows: username: manitoba153, password: careers
Adelia Neufeld Wiens at email@example.com
Coordinator of Student Advising