Alumni Card Benefits
CMU Alumni Benefit Cards open many ways for Alumni to connect with CMU. These Cards were mailed to CMU alumni in the Fall of 2013. A CMU Alumnus is any person who has completed a minimum of 18 hours of credit at—MBBC / Concord, CMBC, or CMU through the Shaftesbury undergraduate or graduate programs, or the Outtatown Discipleship School—and who is no longer registered in a CMU program of study. If you did not receive this card, please contact the alumni office.
In 2013, upon graduation from the full-year Outtatown Discipleship Schools or CMU's undergraduate or graduate programs, students received a CMU Alumni Card. These cards will continue to be issued at future graduations.
The CMU Alumni Card can be used when a person has alumni status and is not enrolled in a program of study at CMU. For example:
- Students who complete a minimum of 18 credit hours of study (either through the 2-semester Outtatown Discipleship School or in undergraduate or graduate studies) qualify as a CMU alumnus and receive a CMU Alumni Card.
- Benefits are available to any alumnus (Shaftesbury or Outtatown) when the alumnus has graduated from, or is no longer enrolled in, CMU undergraduate or MA programs or classes.
Find below a list of all the benefits of being a CMU alumnus.
The alumni benefits card is for personal purchases only.
1. On-Campus Discounts
- CommonWord Bookstore and Resource Centre: 5% discount on regular priced books. (Textbooks NOT included.)
- folio café: 10% discount on coffee, tea and gelato.
- Meals: 20% off on meals in the dining room.
- Meeting Rooms: 10% reduction when booking meeting rooms.
- Discounted Conference Rates: 10% off of regular registration fee for conferences and events such as Worship + Imagination.
- Blazer home games: Free admission.
2. Course Audit Discounts and other Resources
- 75% Audit Benefit: All CMU alumni can audit courses for a 75% reduction of the course fee (with permission of Professor). Reduced rates do not apply to individual applied music courses, ensembles, science courses with lab requirements, independent studies courses, directed studies courses, study tours, or courses taken through the Canadian School of Peacebuilding.
- Subscription to Vision and Direction:
- MA Graduates: Upon graduating from the MA Program, students will receive a one-year free subscription (two issues each) to Vision: A Journal for Church and Theology and Direction.
- Undergraduate Graduates: Upon graduating with an undergraduate degree students will receive a 50% off subscription coupon (two issues each) to Vision: A Journal for Church and Theology and Direction.
3. Library Resource Access (on-site and off-site)
- Reference service and support from CMU's library staff.
- Borrowing privileges:
- 105,000 physical and online volumes.
- 7,000 Journals / Periodicals.
- 3,000 CDs, DVDs, Audio Cassettes (with 20,000 CDs from CBC being processed).
- On-site access:
- Wireless network and library printer.
- Electronic databases (including ATLASERIALS Religion Collection and ebook collections).
- Monthly email updates from the library regarding new purchases (upon request).
- Inter-library loan service (providing access to books and journal articles held in other university libraries).
- Off-site access to JSTOR (Journal Storage), a digital archive of more than 1,500 leading academic journals in the humanities, social sciences, and sciences, as well as select monographs and other materials valuable for academic work. JSTOR also includes more than 15,000 scholarly books from important publishers. Alumni off-site receive full access to the same set of archive collection content available to current students and faculty in the library.
Your password was incorrect. Please contact alumni:@:cmu.ca if you need to obtain the correct password for JSTOR access.
4. Blazer and Blazer Awards
- Receive a copy of The Blazer, CMU's alumni magazine, twice a year. For access to electronic copies of previous issues, click here.
- Blazer Awards: Over the past 60+ years, thousands of people have studied at, and graduated from, CMU, MBBC/Concord College, and CMBC. They have gone on to serve their churches, communities, and the world in a variety of significant ways. CMU wants to celebrate and honour them through the CMU Blazer Distinguished Alumni Award. To read about persons who have received this award in the past, click here.
The goal of the award is to celebrate alumni who, through their lives, embody CMU's mission of "service, leadership and reconciliation in church and society." It will be presented annually to alumni from CMU, MBBC/Concord, and CMBC.
Nominations should include:
Nominations can be mailed to: Alumni Blazer Award, CMU, 500 Shaftesbury Blvd., Winnipeg, MB R3P 2N2 or e-mailed to alumni:@:cmu.ca.
- Information to substantiate the nomination.
- The nominee's current address, phone number and e-mail.
- Your name, address and when you attended CMU, MBBC/Concord, or CMBC, or worked at those schools.
5. Job Boards
Jobs for CMU students and alumni are posted at the CMU Student Employment Centre. Alumni are also welcome to post a job. Scan through all the job postings at the CMU Job Board.
6. E-Updates, Features, Blogs, Gatherings
- Receive a semi-annual e-update from CMU's President.
- Keep in touch via a monthly e-update of News and Events including information on lectures, conferences, concerts and more.
- Read the profiles of other alumni.
- Alumni Blogs:
- Christine Longhurst ('81) provides resources and reflections for worship planners and leaders at re-worship.blogspot.ca.
- MaryLou Driedger ('71–'73) blogs on a variety of topics including family, travel, education, and food at maryloudriedger2.wordpress.com.
- Gatherings of special interest to alumni:
- Fall Festival: MPK Folk Festival, Menno Cross Bike Race, Alumni Class Reunions, Faculty Samplers, Supper, Opening Program.
- Community in Conversation: Be part of monthly 'Community in Conversation' opportunities. Enjoy friends, coffee and conversation with faculty on a range of current issues and topic of relevance to the intersection of community, vocation, life and faith.
- JJ Thiessen Lectures
- President's Alumni Reception (following Christmas@CMU)
- Vespers (3rd Sunday of each month, October to March)
- Spring Concert (Saturday evening of Convocation weekend)
- President's Golf Classic
- Special gatherings with alumni, faculty, and staff as they travel out of province on portables, at provincial conferences and on choir tours and as they are planned and initiated across the country.
Print This Page