Letter of Permission
Who is eligible to take courses at another university or college for credit at CMU?
Returning students with a minimum GPA of 2.0 over 18 credit hours, who require a course or courses at another university or college to meet requirements for their CMU program.
New students who have a minimum average of 65% in high school courses used as a basis for admission to CMU, and who:
- are registering in a pre-professional program that requires a course at another institution.
- Are registering for at least 6 credit hours of CMU courses per semester.
Steps to Follow
If you want to take a course (courses) at another university or college for credit at CMU, here are the steps to follow:
- Choose the course (courses) you need to take. Ensure that your choice is appropriate to your academic needs. Be sure you have the course prerequisites.
- Fill out the Request for Letter of Permission form. Submit it to the Coordinator of Student Advising. If your request is approved, CMU will:
- Send an official Letter of Permission to the appropriate institution and email a copy to you.
- Add the approved courses to your CMU transcript.
- Apply to be a Visiting Student at the institution where you wish to take the class (see below for instructions).
- Register for the course(s) at the institution where you are visiting.
- Confirm with CMU the course(s) for which you registered and for those you did not. Email the Coordinator of Student Advising to confirm the courses.
- You are responsible to pay the fees at the institution where you are visiting, in accordance with that institution's due dates and procedures.
- After you complete your course(s), request an official transcript from the institution where you have been visiting to be sent to the Registrar's Office at CMU. When successfully completed, the course will receive a grade of "TR" (transfer). If a transcript is not received one month after the semester ends, a grade of "F" will be recorded until Registrar's Office receives a transcript with an official grade.
After you complete your course(s), request a transcript from the institution where you have been visiting to be sent to the Registrar at CMU in order that your credits can be recorded in your CMU transcript.
How do I gain admission as a visiting student at another University?
University of Manitoba: Apply on-line at www.umanitoba.ca. The program to which you must apply is General Studies (Extended Education).
University of Winnipeg: Apply on-line at www.uwinnipeg.ca. The admission category to which you must apply is Visiting (Credit to be transferred to another university)
At another university: You must follow that institution’s procedures for gaining admission as a visiting student.
- Be aware of application deadlines when you apply to be a visiting student.
- You may register only for the courses listed on your letter of permission.
- CMU cannot register you at another university. The letter of permission allows you to register for courses; it does not register you in courses.
- To withdraw from a course at another university, you must withdraw at that university according to their procedures. CMU cannot withdraw you from a course at another institution. After you withdraw from the course(s), inform CMU of the withdrawal.
- Courses completed on a letter of permission will not count toward your final GPA.
- It is the student's responsibility to ensure the courses requested fit into the degree program.
Printed from: www.cmu.ca/students.php?s=registrar&p=form_letter