Student Life

International Students

International students at CMU...

For the 2016–17 academic year, CMU registered 62 undergraduate and 16 graduate students from 25 different countries.


New International Student Orientation Registration

CMU recognizes that the transition to Canada and to post-secondary education can be challenging for new international students.

Sign up to take part in the fall orientation for new international registered students from Thursday, August 30 to Saturday, September 1, 2018.
Deadline to register: August 10, 2018.


CMU greatly values the addition of students from other countries and cultures who bring new perspectives and customs into the diverse environment that is the CMU community.

CMU's International Student Handbook is available with specific information pertaining to International students. The Government of Manitoba has developed the Post-Secondary International Student Orientation Handbook which contains valuable information for International students looking to study at post-secondary institutions in Canada.

For more information on programs for International students, please contact the Coordinator of Commuter, International and Disability Programs.


Orientation for International Students

International students are encouraged to participate in the international student orientation and other campus orientation events.

Discover opportunities to connection with other students and to get to know the CMU campus.

The next orientation session is August 30–September 1, 2018.
For more information contact Sandra Loeppky at




International Student Leadership

International Student Council (ISC)

The International Student Council works to raise awareness of the presence of international students on campus, provides a voice for international students and strives to address the issues that this community faces during their time at CMU. International Student Council leaders assist in planning orientation and providing programming and events on campus throughout the year that support the mission of the International Student Council.

International Student Mentors (ISMs)

International Student Mentors are assigned to each new international student when they arrive for orientation. These student leaders assist new students in navigating the various items associated with beginning university and moving to Canada.

Health Insurance for International Students

All international students attending CMU must be covered by the Manitoba Health coverage plan for the period of their stay in Canada. Registration for this health program is free, but students must register in person for the program. Health coverage begins when the student arrives in Manitoba. Registration for this coverage is available on the website or from the Coordinator of International Programs (A02 south).

This insurance covers basic hospital and medical benefits. Full details are provided on the insurance website: CMU recommends that international students seek additional private health insurance to cover those things not covered by Manitoba Health coverage, such as dental, vision, ambulance rides and some prescription drugs. Information about additional insurance programs will be provided during orientation.

Manitoba Blue Cross and Guard Me websites

All international students must provide proof of health coverage upon registering at CMU and beginning class attendance.


Payment Information

CMU has partnered with Flywire (a money transfer service) to help international students make easier payments for tuition and room & board. Payment can be made directly from your home country to your student account. For further information and CMU's payment policy, please visit the Tuition & Fees webpage.

Work Permits

International students are permitted to work temporarily while they are studying. For more information regarding work permits, please visit


Working On Campus

In general, a valid Study Permit allows an international student to work on campus only at the institution where he/she is registered as a full-time student. CMU offers a variety of on campus employment opportunities. Students must apply and interview for these jobs. To see a listing of on campus employment opportunities click here.

To qualify to work on-campus without a Work Permit, an international student must:


About Winnipeg

Printed from: