Emeritus Professor of Music
Dietrich received his undergraduate degree at the University of British Columbia in 1975, where he majored in Music History and Organ Performance. He completed his PhD at the Albert-Ludwigs-Universität in Freiburg, Germany, in 1982. His dissertation, appearing in 1985 as Handbuch der musikalischen Figurenlehre, has gone into its 6th edition. While in Freiburg, he also held the Kantor position at the Lutherkirche.
In 1985 he moved to Winnipeg with his wife, Jocelyn, and children, Rebecca and Gregory, to take up a teaching position at CMBC, a founding college of CMU. He is also active as a church musician in the city, presently being the music director and organist at All Saints' Anglican Church. In addition, he has served on the boards of The Winnipeg Singers, the Royal Canadian College of Organists and the Winnipeg Bach Festival. He has also appeared in concerts on numerous occasions with these organizations, as well as with the Winnipeg Symphony Orchestra.
Dietrich continues to pursue research in the area of German Baroque music theory. His book, Musica Poetica, has become a standard widely read work in the field. More recently he has been working on the German theorist and organist Andreas Werckmeister, including a translation and commentary of Werckmeister's last treatise, which was published as Andreas Werckmeister’s Musicalische Paradoxal-Discourse: A Well-Tempered Universe by Lexington Books (Rowman & Littlefield Publishing) in 2017. He is presently doing research on Johann Mattheson in preparation for his next book: Following the Capellmeister – The Late Writings of Johann Mattheson. Of particular interest to him are these authors' understandings of the intersection of music and theology.
Areas of Teaching
Music History & Musicology, Organ, Church Music, Music & Spirituality, Fine Art History,
PhD, Albert Ludwigs Universität, Freiburg, Germany, 1982; BMus, University of British Columbia, 1975
Work in Detail
Music History survey courses
Upper level music history courses
Organ Seminar (and individual organ instruction)
Readings in Musicology, Musicology Thesis supervision
History of Jazz
Music and Spiritual Meaning
Litrugy and Artistic Expression
Fine Art History
- Handbuch der musikalischen Figurenlehre, Laaber Verlag, 1985, 1992, revised edition, 1997.
- Musica Poetica: Musical-Rhetorical Figures in German Baroque Music, University of Nebraska Press, 1997.
- "Music as Icon," Music in Worship: A Mennonite Perspective, ed. Bernie Wiebe, Herald Press (PA), 1998.
- Andreas Werckmeister, Musiktheoretische Schriften: Harmonologia musica / Musikalische Paradoxal-Discourse Faksimile der Ausgaben Frankfurt/Leipzig 1702 und Quedlinburg 1707. Introductory essay (German and English) to the facsimile reprint, Laaber-Verlag, 2002.
- Johann Mattheson, Die drei Orchestre-Schriften: Das Neu-eröffnete Orchestre / Das beschützte Orchestre / Das forschende Orchestre, Introductory essay (German and English) to the facsimile reprint: Laaber-Verlag, 2003.
- "Ethical Gestures: Rhetoric in German Baroque Music," The Musical Times, Vol. 144, No. 1885, Winter 2003
- "Andreas Werckmeister's final tuning: the path to equal temperament," Early Music, vol.43, 3, August 2015, 503 -- 512.
- "Musica as Wellness: the numinous in music," A University of the Church for the World: Essays in Honour of Gerald Gerbrandt,.P. Dyck, H. Huebner, eds., Winnipeg: CMU Press, 2016.
- Andreas Werckmeister's Musicalische Paradoxal-Discourse: A Well-Tempered Universe, Contextual Bach Studies series, Robin Leaver, ed., Lexington Books, Lanham: Rowman & Littlefield Publishing, 2017.
- "Affect, Affektenlehre," "Musical-rhetorical Figures, Figurenlehre," Thuringus, Joachim," The Cambridge Encyclopedia of Historical Performance in Music, ed. Colin Lawson, Robin Stowell, Cambridge University Press, forthcoming.
- 2002 – Soloist with the Winnipeg Symphony Orchestra performance of the Saint-Saëns Organ Symphony
- 2004 – Organ Recital: The Complete Organ Works of Johannes Brahms,
- 2006 – Directed J. S. Bach's Easter Oratorio for choir, soloists, & orchestra, All Saints' Anglican Church
- 2007 – Guest organist for inaugural organ recital series, St Andrew's (Woodhaven) Anglican Church
- 2007 – Organ (and solo cantata) Recital, CMU BachFest "Celebrating Buxtehude" (with Henriette Schellenberg)
- 2007 – Directed CMU Vespers, CMU BachFest "Celebrating Buxtehude"
- 2007 – Directed performance of Dietrich Buxtehude's Membra Jesu, All Saints' Anglican Church
- 2007 – Commission: Anthem for mixed choir: God Be In Your Head, for the installation of the Anglican Primate of Canada, premiered at St Matthew's Anglican Church (conducted the premiere performance)
- 2008 – Guest organist: Renaissance Voices concert. Spanish Renaissance organ repertoir
- 2008 – Solo organ recital, RCCO Summer Recital Series.
- 2008 – Performance of J. Haydn's Missa in Augustiis (Lord Nelson Mass), for soloists, choir, and orchestra, All Saints' Anglican Church
- 2009 – Performance of D. Buxtehude's Membra Jesu for soloists, choir, and instrumentalists, All Saints' Anglican Church
- 2009 – Organ Recital, RCCO Summer Recital Series,
- 2010 – Performance of Heinrich Schütz, Kleine Geistliche Konzerte (choir & soloists), All Saints Anglican Church
- 2010 – Performance of Dietrich Buxtehude Membra Jesu, All Saints Anglican Church
- 2010 – Performance of J. S. Bach Easter Oratorio, All Saints Anglican Church
- 2011 – Organ Recital, RCCO Summer Series
- Performance of Joseph Haydn, Seven Last Words of Christ, (choir & soloists), All Saints Anglican Church, April 3, 2015
- Performance of Bach Cantatas BWV 10 & 125, (for choir, soloists & orchestra) Bach Vespers, All Saints Anglican Church, March 26, 2017
- Performance of Joseph Haydn, Seven Last Words of Christ, (choir, soloists, & instrumentalists), All Saints Anglican Church, April 14, 2017
Lectures & presentations
- 1987 – The Cantatas of Dietrich Buxtehude, Winnipeg Bach Festival
- 1989 – J.S. Bach's Clavierübung III, Winnipeg Bach Festival
- 1991– J. S. Bach's St. Luke Passion: Questions Regarding Its Authenticity, Winnipeg Bach Festival
- 1992 – Bach's Great Leipzig Chorales, Winnipeg Bach Festival
- 1995 – The Anna Magdalena Notebook, Winnipeg Bach Festival
- 1996 – Bach's Brandenburg Concerti, Winnipeg Bach Festival
- 1997 – J. S. Bach's Orgelbüchlein, Winnipeg Bach Festival
- 2002 – Keynote address (upon invitation) at the 4. Internationales Andreas–Werckmeister-Fest in Halberstadt, Germany
- 2003 – Keynote address (upon invitation) at the Boston Early Music Festival 2003 Symposium "Performing German Baroque Music: A Rhetorical Row"
- 2005 – Public lecture, "Andreas Werckmeister und der Weg zur gleichschwebenden Temperierung," Leipzig University, Germany
- 2005 – Lecture: "Musik und Rhetorik," Musikhochschule für Musik "Carl Maria von Weber" Dresden, Germany
- 2005 – Presentation: "Neue Töne in der Kirchenmusik: Steel Drums," Hochschule für Kirchenmusik Dresden, Germany
- 2009 – "Andreas Werckmeister's Final Tuning: A Theological-Speculative Path to Equal Temperament," Meeting of the Forum on Music and Christian Scholarship, University of Notre Dame, Indiana
- 2010 – "French Baroque organ music: Couperin's organ masses," Royal Canadian College of Organists (Winnipeg)
- 2014 – "It's about revolution: Beethoven's Fidelio", Manitoba Opera presentations, October 27, 2014, CMU Laudamus Auditorium
- 2015 – "The 'Other' in the music of Puccini's Turandot", Manitoba Opera presentation, April 1, 2015, Unitarian Universalist Church, Winnipeg.
- 2015 – "The drama of the music in Mozart's The Marriage of Figaro", Manitoba Opera presentation, November 4, 2015, Canadian Museum for Human Rights.
Print This Page