Transfer Students

CMU welcomes transfer students. Many students choose to transfer to CMU after one or more semesters elsewhere. If you are thinking of making the move to CMU, here is some information that you need to know.


Transferring from Other Institutions

Transferring Credit from a University

Students normally receive credit for work completed at universities approved by Universities Canada (formerly AUCC). For other universities/colleges, consultations with the Registrar's Office will determine course credit transfer. In some cases, course outlines may be requested to evaluate how a course will transfer into a CMU program.

Transferring Credit from a Community/Technical College

Students with Community/Technical College training may receive transfer credit, depending on the type of program completed.

Transferring Credit from a Bible College/Institute

Many students choose CMU after completing a program at a Bible College/Institute and transfer credit may be available. Often syllabi are requested to aid in the transfer assessment process.

Transferring from Institutions that have Agreements with CMU

An articulation agreement is an arrangement between post-secondary institutions that makes it easier for students to transfer courses from one institution to the other. Currently, CMU has agreements with the following institutions:


Transfer Credit Assessment Steps

1. Apply to CMU

Complete the online application form and submit official transcripts from all post-secondary institutions attended.

2. Admission to CMU

The CMU Admissions Office will review the file for admission.

3. Transfer Credit Review

Pending acceptance, our Registrar's Office will review your file for transfer credit. After the initial transfer assessment, Registrar's Office will contact you by email either to:

4. Transfer Credit Awarded

The Enrolment Coordinator or the Coordinator of Student Advising will work with you to understand how the transfer credit will fit into your program of study.

5. Register for Courses

The Enrolment Coordinator or the Coordinator of Student Advising will help you choose courses that fit into your program.


Transferring Credit

Transfer credit into undergraduate programs is considered only for courses where a student has achieved a grade of 'C' or higher. For graduate courses, a student must achieve a grade of 'B' or higher to be considered for transfer credit. Credits older than 10 years may be considered outdated and therefore not transferable. They will be considered on a course-by-course basis.

Credit can be transferred in one of three ways:

  1. Course for Course
  2. Unallocated Transfer Credit – When a course doesn't match a specific course at CMU, it may be transferred as an elective course.
  3. Block Transfer Credit –courses are bundled to meet a program requirement.

A student's transfer credit may or may not all fit into the program the student chooses at CMU, depending on the CMU program chosen.

Printed from: