The Matrix: Links
Associate Professor of Biblical Studies and Theology
I am compiling the “best” links I can find that explore the worldview of The Matrix. The discussion guides and articles listed below deal with biblical, theological, and philosophical matters. Please send your suggestions to me at: firstname.lastname@example.org
· . A Shoot-the-Messenger Review.
· “The Matrix Revolutions” and the irrationality of God,” by Steve Lansingh
Preaching Peace in Hollywood: on mimetic theory and The Matrix, The Lord of the Rings, Terminator 3.
· . Ideabank 03/2000.
. The conversation covers three topics: Neo's role as a Christ figure, the many religious references in the film, and the ethics of the film with respect to reality, truth, and faith.
· James L. Ford, “Buddhism, Christianity, and The Matrix: The Dialectic of Myth-Making in Contemporary Cinema,” Journal of Religion and Film Vol. 4, No. 2 - 2000. This essay analyses the film from the perspective of contemporary myth-making. It explores the resonance between the movie and the fourth century (CE) philosophical school of Buddhism known as Yogacara.
· Read Mercer Schuchardt, “Identity in a Paradox World”. A creative, interactive site.
· Doug Mann and Heidi Hochenedel, “Evil Demons, Saviors, and Simulacra in The Matrix”. This essay explores the philosophical trajectories arising from R. Descartes and J. Baudrillard.
· Paul Fontana, “Generation Exile and Neo Restoration: A Study of Messianic Hope in the Matrix.” An extensive essay written by someone connected to Harvard Divinity School. The first part of the essay applies micro-analysis to the film’s Christian symbolism. The second part applies macro-analysis by interpreting the whole film in the light of Jewish and Christian apocalyptic expectation.
· This and the next link are identical, but in different formats. The second one allows you to access the article (which is 56 pages long) section by section.
· . This site is part of a web-ring, which allows you to move to a variety of Matrix sites, many of which take an allegorical approach to interpreting the movie. Click here for an Introduction to those sites.