Residential Life - Housing
Apply for CMU Housing
To live on the CMU campus, you must:
- Fill out a housing application:
- Provide two references from people who know you well.
In order to live on campus you must be admitted as a CMU student. Click here to fill out a CMU application
CMU has three residence buildings with dormitory and apartment style options.
Poettker Hall is a two-story building attached to the Dining Hall with dormitory and apartment style accommodations.
The dormitory is divided into men’s and women’s wings. There are 33 rooms in the women’s wing and 24 rooms in the men’s wing. Students can request either single or double occupancy rooms. All rooms contain beds, large closets, shelving units, and study space.
Poettker Hall also contains 15 apartment units, ranging from studio to 2-bedroom suites. All apartments are fully furnished with a stove, refrigerator, kitchen table and chairs, sofa, shelves, desks, dressers and beds.
Lounges feature cable TV, VCR and DVD player, and a pool table.
This three-story building has 18 single and 18 double dormitory rooms and 24 one-bedroom apartments.
The dormitory space is set up so that one single room and a double room share one bathroom. Dormitory rooms include beds, armoires, shelves, and study space.
All one-bedroom apartments come with a full kitchen, bathroom and living room space. These fully furnished apartments include a stove, refrigerator, kitchen table and chairs, love seat, shelves, desk, bed, and armoire.
Katherine Friesen Apartments
The Katherine Friesen Apartments is a three-story building that contains 24 apartments. There are 6 studios, 6 one-bedroom, 6 two-bedroom and 6 three-bedroom apartments. All apartments include a full kitchen, bathroom and living room. Furnishings include a stove, refrigerator, kitchen table and chairs, sofa, chair, bookshelf, desk, bed, and chest of drawers.
- All students living in the dormitory are required to participate in the full board meal plan.
- All apartment students are required to participate in the apartment meal plan which includes one lunch and one supper per week.
- All apartments and dorm rooms are connected to a high-speed internet network. The dorm buildings also have a public phone on each floor.
- All rooms are set up for private phone connections. All apartments are additionally wired for cable TV. Students wishing to have private phone and cable connections must make arrangements through a local service provider.
- Utilities such as water, heat, electricity and internet are included in the rental price.
- Each building has coin operated laundry facilities.
- Limited storage space is available in all buildings for students to store some of their belongings.
- A bike shed is located on campus for student use for a fee.
- Student parking is available for a fee.