Open Search

Student Life

International Students

International students at CMU...

For the 2016–17 academic year, CMU registered 62 undergraduate and 16 graduate students from 25 different countries.


New International Student Orientation Registration

CMU recognizes that the transition to Canada and to post-secondary education can be challenging for new international students.

Sign up to take part in the fall orientation for new international registered students from Thursday, August 30 to Saturday, September 1, 2018.
Deadline to register: August 10, 2018.


CMU greatly values the addition of students from other countries and cultures who bring new perspectives and customs into the diverse environment that is the CMU community.

CMU's International Student Handbook is available with specific information pertaining to International students. The Government of Manitoba has developed the Post-Secondary International Student Orientation Handbook which contains valuable information for International students looking to study at post-secondary institutions in Canada.

For more information on programs for International students, please contact the Coordinator of International and Disability Programs.


Orientation for International Students

International students are encouraged to participate in the international student orientation and other campus orientation events.

Discover opportunities to connection with other students and to get to know the CMU campus.

The next orientation session is August 30–September 1, 2018.
For more information contact Sandra Loeppky at


International Student Leadership

International Student Council (ISC)

The International Student Council works to raise awareness of the presence of international students on campus, provides a voice for international students and strives to address the issues that this community faces during their time at CMU. International Student Council leaders assist in planning orientation and providing programming and events on campus throughout the year that support the mission of the International Student Council.

International Student Mentors (ISMs)

International Student Mentors are assigned to each new international student when they arrive for orientation. These student leaders assist new students in navigating the various items associated with beginning university and moving to Canada.

Health Insurance for International Students

Changes to International Student Health Coverage – posted April 5, 2018

This page will be updated as new information becomes available.

CMU has been researching health insurance plans for international students and have some preliminary plans in place.  CMU is hoping to have a plan in place shortly.  As soon as those details are available, this information will be passed along to you using this website and through your CMU email.

Do I still have health coverage?

If you currently have a Manitoba Health Card, you are fully covered until September 1, 2018.  You can access health care as usual.

What will happen after September 1?

In keeping with CMU's policy that all students must have health insurance to study at this institution, international students will be enrolled in a health insurance plan prior to beginning classes in Fall 2018.

Should I buy my own health coverage?

You are covered by Manitoba Health until September 1, 2018, so you do not need private health insurance at this time.  You can expect that CMU will require all international students to enroll in one health care plan before the beginning of the fall semester, so you will not need private health insurance for next year.

What will the CMU health insurance plan cost?

CMU is in the process of finding the most comprehensive and reasonably priced health insurance for international students.  This information will provided as soon as it become available.

Where can I go to ask questions?

You can revisit this website for updates as they become available.  New information will be emailed to your CMU email.  You are also welcome to meet with the Coordinator of International Student Programs.  You can set up an appointment by emailing


Payment Information

CMU has partnered with Flywire (a money transfer service) to help international students make easier payments for tuition and room & board. Payment can be made directly from your home country to your student account. For further information and CMU's payment policy, please visit the Tuition & Fees webpage.

Work Permits

International students are permitted to work temporarily while they are studying. For more information regarding work permits, please visit


Working On Campus

In general, a valid Study Permit allows an international student to work on campus only at the institution where he/she is registered as a full-time student. CMU offers a variety of on campus employment opportunities. Students must apply and interview for these jobs. To see a listing of on campus employment opportunities click here.

To qualify to work on-campus without a Work Permit, an international student must:


About Winnipeg

Print This Page