Open Search

International Students

International students at CMU...

For the 2016–17 academic year, CMU registered 62 undergraduate and 16 graduate students from 25 different countries.


New International Student Orientation Registration

CMU recognizes that the transition to Canada and to post-secondary education can be challenging for new international students.

Sign up to take part in the orientation for registered new international students on Tuesday, January 2.


At CMU, we feel that students from other countries add vital balance to our community, perspective and academic approaches. Should you choose to study here, we would be honoured to have you!

International students of CMU have a wide variety of options available to them including three and four year BA degrees with a choice of 18 majors, as well as bachelor degrees in Music, Music Therapy, and Business Administration (BBA). CMU also offers a Master of Arts in Theological Studies (two-Year), Master of Arts in Peacebuilding and Collaborative Development, and The Collaborative Master of Business Administration.

To learn more about the International Student experience at CMU, take a look at some of the interviews with past and present international students.

Interested? For more information about whether you are eligible to apply to CMU, and how to apply, keep reading! The steps you find below will take you through everything you need to know!



Admission Requirements

In order to apply to study at CMU, you will need to meet certain conditions. International applicants will be considered for admission if they meet any one of the following criteria:

English Proficiency Requirements

International applicants whose primary language is not English must also demonstrate proficiency in English by one of the following tests:

If you think your country may be exempt from the English proficiency requirements, please consult our Exemption List at the bottom of this page. Also, there are specific English proficiency waiver options.  


Applying to CMU: Steps to Follow

  1. Apply: If you meet the criteria above, you are ready to apply for admission to CMU! There are two ways to apply: you can Apply Online or you can print out a PDF Application Form and mail or fax it to CMU.  Ensure you apply for on campus housing.
    Deadlines for admittance:
    Fall Semester: Application due by May 15, applicants must be admitted by May 31.
    Winter Semester:
    Application due by August 15, applicants must be admitted by August 31.
  2. Pay your application fee: Your application must be accompanied by a non-refundable payment of the $150 application fee. CMU has partnered with Flywire (a money transfer service) to help make the payment process easier for international students. Payment can be made directly from your home country to your student account.
  3. Transcripts: We require transcripts to determine your eligibility. The first submission of these documents may be scanned or copied versions of your official transcripts (clear screenshots, or photos are acceptable). However, we will need the official paper copies (or notarized hard copies) of your school transcripts in order to fully admit you into the University. These documents should be mailed to us.

    If you require these transcripts back please inform us IN WRITING (ether with a letter, or email). We will send you your transcripts back either by post (with an additional charge for postage), or hold them until you arrive at CMU.  It is CMU policy to only hold onto students files for 3 years after which time a student must re-apply or their file will be shredded (in following Canadian information laws).
  4. English Proficiency Exam Results: As stated in the eligibility requirements, International applicants whose primary language is not English must demonstrate proficiency in English. International students must have recent exam results (less than one year). These documents should be mailed to us.

    If you think your country may be exempt from the English proficiency requirements, please consult our Exemption List at the bottom of this page.
  5. Eligibility Assessment: We will only consider your application after we have received your completed application form, your non-refundable application fee, your transcripts, and your English proficiency exam results (if applicable). We will assess your application and contact you regarding your acceptance; you can expect to hear from us within 5-7 weeks, even if your application is not successful.
  6. Apply for On-Campus Housing: When applying for On-Campus Housing we require a housing application and TWO housing reference forms. You will need to make sure that the two reference forms (e.g. a teacher, pastor, community leader—no relatives) are all filled out and sent to us directly. Find reference forms here: Personal/Housing Reference Forms.

    You may apply for On-Campus Housing by one of three ways:
    1. Fill out the housing portion of your Online CMU application
    2. Use the Online Housing Application Form
    3. Print out a PDF Application Form and mail, email, or fax it to us.

Financial Information

Costs (Quoted in Canadian Dollars for Fall/Winter 2017–18)

CMU tuition pricing is an advantage for International students! Our pricing for international students reflects CMU's commitment to offering affordable Christian post-secondary education to students from outside Canada. Your presence on our campus contributes to creating a diverse student body, where students of different backgrounds can learn from one another both in the classroom and outside of it. As a result, we have one of Manitoba’s most affordable international student tuition rates.

Tuition for two semesters of undergraduate study is $9,922.50, before student services fees. (Based on 2017–18 tuition rates and five 3-credit hour courses each term—view a PDF of the full fee breakdown). Please note, Graduate course fees are different, and are the same as domestic costs.

The basic costs of one academic year (September to April) of full-time study while living in on-campus housing as a single student are:

Tuition $10,677.75 (including student services fees)
Books & Fees $1,500.00 (approximate)
Room & Board $6,384.00 (or more depending on your option)
Personal Effects $500.00  
TOTAL: $19,061.75  

If you plan to stay on campus from May to August, there are additional room and board charges estimated at $2,000–3,000.

International Tuition Discounts are available for students from Developing Countries, countries listed up to and including 'Upper-middle income economies' according to The World Bank. We will automatically provide a 20% reduction in undergraduate tuition. Graduate programs (MA and MBA) are NOT included in this discount.

Click for a list of countries from which students are eligible for the international student discount.

Here is the discounted breakdown:

Tuition $8,693.25 (including student services fees)
Books & Fees $1,500.00 (approximate)
Room & Board $6,384.00 (or more depending on your option)
Personal Effects $500.00  
TOTAL: $17,077.25  
Scholarships, Bursaries, and Financial Aid

Unfortunately, CMU itself has very limited financial aid to offer international students. As a result, CMU DOES NOT have any specific scholarships for international students. There are many requests for assistance and resources are limited. You will need to find the necessary funds through other sources.

We welcome all of our students to apply for specialized awards and scholarships, and these are available to international students. Please consult our Scholarships & Awards page for more information. The deadline for these applications is February 28th.

There are also opportunities to receive a small amount of funding through bursaries (designated according to financial need once a student is enrolled at CMU). You need to apply for those bursaries once you have been accepted to CMU. The deadline for the bursary application is July 15.

Church Matching grants are available to all CMU students. For international students, CMU will match any funds provided by a local church or organization up to $1,000.

Payment Information

CMU has partnered with Flywire (a money transfer service) to help international students make easier payments for tuition and room & board.  Payment can be made directly from your home country to your student account.  For further information and CMU's payment policy, please visit the Tuition & Fees webpage.

Working in Canada

International students who hold a Canadian study permit may gain work experience while completing their studies. Your study permit will allow you to work up to 20 hours per week during regular academic sessions and work full-time during scheduled breaks, such as the winter and summer holidays or reading week. For further information please consult the CIC Student Work Permit Website.

Students wishing to work on or off campus must obtain a Social Insurance Number (SIN card) prior to beginning work. Application information can be obtained from the Coordinator of International Student Programs upon arrival at CMU.

On-Campus Work: There are limited on-campus jobs that international students can apply for prior to or upon arrival. International students are eligible to work on campus when they receive their valid study permit. However, it will not help with immigration requirements! The money earned in this work cannot be counted on when you apply to study in Canada.

Off-Campus Work: Off-campus work privileges are issued under the conditions of your study permit. To work off campus, you will need to complete and comply with the following:

  1. You must be enrolled in full-time studies in programs of 6 months or more at a Designated Learning Institution (DLI). The DLI number for CMU will be included in your acceptance package.
  2. You may work no more than 20 hours per week when studying, and full-time during regularly scheduled breaks (i.e. summer break, Christmas break, Reading week).
  3. You are allowed to work until the expiration date listed on your study permit. At that time, you need to apply for a work permit.
  4. You must continue to meet the conditions of your study permit in order to remain eligible for employment.

NOTE: It is possible to receive a post-graduate work permit up to a maximum of 3 years after studies (the degree) are complete. For more information about Study Permits, Temporary Resident Visas, Post-Graduate Work Permits, Co-Op Work Permits, etc., click here.



On-Campus Housing at CMU

There are quite a few options for living on campus. CMU's on-campus housing options include apartments, shared dormitory rooms, and single dorm rooms in three different buildings all close to a full-service dining hall. Learn more about CMU's housing.

If you wish to live at CMU during your studies here, you will need to apply for on-campus housing; your application must be accompanied by two references. For an online housing application or PDF version, and printable reference forms, click here. Housing is limited, so please apply for housing by February 28 in order to secure a space.

Off-Campus Housing at CMU

If you want to live off campus CMU is not responsible for finding you off campus housing. CMU is located in the South West quadrant of the city, in the neighbourhood of Tuxedo. When selecting an apartment, you may want to take proximity into consideration. There are a number of sites you can use to find affordable housing. Here are a few to help you get started in your search:

Holiday Break Closure

CMU is closed over the two week Christmas break. This means that the dormitories are CLOSED, and there is no food services available during the holiday. Students who are living in the dormitories are not allowed to stay on campus during the holiday break. We acknowledge that international students travel a great distance, and are unable to leave Winnipeg for the holiday break. CMU will work hard to HELP you find a host, but it is also your responsibility to work with us. CMU cannot guarantee that we can find every student a host. This is why we encourage all our international students to engage in the CMU community, a lot of benefit can come from making genuine connections with Canadian students.


You Are Officially Accepted

If you meet our entrance criteria, and we have received the fees and all documents referred to above, CMU’s Admissions Coordinator will send you an official Letter of Acceptance. You will need this letter (either Conditional or Final) in order to obtain your Study Permit. CMU will issue an electronic copy of the letter that can be used to apply for a Study Permit online. Canadian Immigration encourages online applications, and we have noticed that the process is much quicker and efficient than going in-person to the Canadian Embassy in that country.

You will be issued a FINAL Letter of Acceptance once you complete your current program and provide us with final official transcripts (or notarized hard copies). You will need the final letter of acceptance in order to enter Canada, and continue with studies at CMU.

Please note that international students beginning their studies at CMU in September are required to have on deposit with CMU an amount equivalent to two semesters of tuition and housing fees ($15,000 CAD) by August 1. Students beginning in January are required to deposit $7,500 CAD by November 1. When it comes to making deposits to your CMU account, please use and select Canadian Mennonite University as the payee.  Your account number is the same as your student number.

After acquiring your Study Permit, you may secure your flight arrangements directly to Winnipeg International Airport. We encourage you to book your flight to travel direct to Canada. Please note, if you travel through the USA, even if you end up only transferring flights, you MUST apply for either a US Visitor's Visa (if your country does not appear on the Visa Waiver List) or an ESTA. Unless you have Visitor’s Visa or an ESTA, you will not be allowed to enter.

International Student orientation begins on August 31, 2017.  We require you to arrive in Winnipeg by August 30, 2017. It is important for you to attend. We require that when you book your flights, you plan to arrive by that date.

PLEASE NOTE: The start date for classes is September 6, 2017, international students MUST be registered for classes by September 5, 2017 ready to start by September 6.  We recognize that international travel can sometimes be difficult, however, NO STUDENT will be allowed to start classes later than Friday September 8, 2017. For the winter semester, the start date for classes is January 4, 2017, international students MUST be registered for classes by January 3, ready to start by January 4. NO STUDENT will be allowed to start classes later than Friday, January 6, 2017.

Once flight arrangements are made, you will need to wire us an additional $100 non-refundable deposit in order for us to confirm your accommodation and place in our program here. This deposit will be applied to your first semester of study at CMU. Tell us your time of arrival and we will arrange to have someone meet you and bring you to the campus.

All international students attending CMU must be covered by the Manitoba Health coverage plan for the period of their stay in Canada. Registration for this health program is free, but students must register in person for the program. Students will need to show that they hold a study permit valid for no less than 6 months in order to be eligible for this program. Health coverage begins when the student arrives in Manitoba. Registration for this coverage is available on the Manitoba Health website or from the Coordinator of International Student Programs. More information on this program is available in the International Student Handbook below.

If you have further questions, feel free to phone us at 204.487.3300, fax us at 204.487.3858, or contact us online.

Download the International Student Handbook


Acquiring a Study Permit

If your application to CMU is successful, you must meet the following requirements to obtain a study permit from Citizenship and Immigration Canada:

  1. A letter of acceptance from CMU
  2. An acceptable medical report
  3. If required, a Visitor Visa or eTA – Consult the CIC Visa website. We encourage you to book your flight to travel direct to Canada.
    Please note, when planning your travel to CMU to study, we strongly encourage you NOT to travel through the USA. If you travel through the USA, even if you end up only transferring flights, you MUST apply for either a US Visitor's Visa (if your country does not appear on the Visa Waiver List) or an ESTA. Unless you have Visitor’s Visa or an ESTA, you will not be allowed to enter.
  4. Evidence of sufficient finances* (e.g. bank statement, transferred funds to CMU).  Please consult the CIC Visa Documents for what is required.

Please consult the Canadian Immigration website for processes, applications, and any questions. Once again, we encourage you to APPLY ONLINE – it is a faster process.

*NOTE: The Canadian Immigration website states that full tuition plus $10,000 for a 12-month period is required before a study permit will be issued. According to Canadian Immigration Law, international students are required to have enough funds available to pay for their entire length of study. So, to receive a three-year study permit, you need to show that you have financial support for three years’ education (tuition and living costs) when you enter the country. At minimum, you will be required to produce funds for at least the first year of your schooling in order to secure even a one-year study permit. Perhaps your local church or personal sponsors would be able to help you by providing you with the needed funds.

Provision of adequate finances to pay for your tuition and living expenses should be based on the COST information provided.

When arriving in Canada, please ensure that the Immigration Officer at your Port of Entry includes the following statement on your Study Permit document:

May accept employment on or off campus if meeting eligibility criteria as per R186(f), (v) or (w). Must cease working if no longer meeting these criteria.

This is required to ensure Service Canada will provide you with a Social Insurance Number so that you can work in Canada while you study.


Our Stories

Connect with students at the CMU Student Council webpage and on Facebook.


Winnipeg: A Place to Live and Play

CMU's on-campus housing options include apartments, shared dormitory rooms, and single dorm rooms in three different buildings all close to a full-service dining hall. Learn more about CMU's housing here.

The campus boasts an art gallery, market garden, bike co-op, and is next door to Assiniboine Park, the Winnipeg Zoo, and an urban forest, which features walking and cycling trails.

CMU is located in Winnipeg (population approx. 762,000), a diverse, multicultural city offering an array of cultural experiences including Folklorama, Royal Winnipeg Ballet, Winnipeg Symphony Orchestra, Winnipeg Folk Festival, and Winnipeg Fringe Festival, the Assiniboine River skating trail—and, of course, the Winnipeg Jets and Winnipeg Blue Bombers!

To learn more about Winnipeg:

Did you know? Winnipeg is among the world's top seven most intelligent communities, according to New York-based Intelligent Community Forum. [ full story ]


English Language Proficiency Requirement Exemption

Students who have their secondary education from a British or North American system, or have graduated from an American or Canadian High School or University will be exempt. Also, students from the following countries are exempt from the English Language Proficiency Requirements provided the student has completed English and earned a grade equivalent to a 'B' grade in the Canadian education system:

  • Anguilla
  • Antigua & Barbuda
  • Ascension Island
  • Australia
  • Austria
  • Bahamas
  • Barbados
  • Bermuda
  • Belgium
  • Belize
  • Botswana
  • British West Indies
  • British Overseas Territories
  • Canada
  • Cayman Islands
  • Channel Islands
  • Christmas Islands
  • Cook Islands
  • Denmark
  • Dominica
  • England
  • Ethiopia
  • Faroe Island
  • Falkland Islands
  • Fiji
  • Finland
  • Germany
  • Ghana
  • Gilbraltar
  • Grenada
  • Guam (USA)
  • Guyana
  • Ireland (Republic of)
  • Isle of Man
  • Jamaica
  • Kenya
  • Kiribati
  • Leeward Islands
  • Lesotho
  • Luxembourg
  • Malawi
  • Malta
  • Mauritius
  • Montserrat
  • Namibia
  • Netherlands
  • New Caledonia
  • New Zealand
  • Nigeria
  • Norfolk Island
  • Northern Ireland
  • Norway
  • Pitcairn Islands
  • Puerto Rico
  • St. Helena
  • St. Kitts & Nevis
  • St. Lucia
  • St. Vincent & Grenadines
  • Scotland
  • Sierra Leone
  • Singapore
  • Solomon Islands
  • South Africa
  • Swaziland
  • Sweden
  • Switzerland
  • Tanzania
  • Trinidad & Tobago
  • Tristan da Cunha
  • Turks & Caicos Islands
  • Tuvalu
  • Uganda
  • United Kingdom
  • United States
  • Virgin Islands (USA)
  • Virgin Islands (UK)
  • Wake-Midway Island (USA)
  • Wales
  • Windward Islands
  • Zambia
  • Zimbabwe

English Language Requirement – Waiver Options

Students may request a waiver of the English Language Requirement. Students must provide supporting documentation to show they meet one of the conditions below:

  1. Three years of full-time education in English at secondary (high school) or post-secondary (university or college) levels in Canada, or
  2. Graduation from a Manitoba high school with at least one Senior 4 Core English credit with a minimum grade of 70% (Comprehensive Focus, Literary Focus or Transactional Focus), or
  3. Graduation from a Canadian high school with at least one Grade 12 English with a minimum grade of 70%, or
  4. Graduation from a Canadian curriculum high school outside of Canada with at least one Grade 12 English with a minimum grade of 70% (students taking a New Brunswick curriculum are not included. You must present an IELTS test), or
  5. Achieved a minimum grade of four (B) on the International Baccalaureate Higher Level English course, or a minimum grade of three (B) on the Advanced Placement English examination (Language Composition; Literature and Composition), or
  6. Have Graduated from an English Exempt Country. Canadian Mennonite University reserves the right to request additional documentation which may include the submission of a standardized test of English, or fulfilment of an English Proficiency Test, or
  7. Ten consecutive years of residency in Canada that may include years of study in Canada. The period of residency will be the time elapsed between the "Landed On" date on the Record of Landing Document and July 1 of the year of application.

Print This Page