Mother Earth and Her Lovers: Repair and Maintenance
Friday, January 24 — Saturday, March 14, 2020
An art exhibition featuring new work by
Bob Haverluck, Rhian Brynjolson, and Sam Baardman
with poets Dennis Cooley, Lori Matties, and Gerry Wolfram
For more information: CANVASs Newsletter January/February
Opening: Friday, January 24, 2020 from 7:30 — 9:30 PM
Events connected with "Mother Earth and Her Lovers"
A Day of Songs, Stories, Poems for MOTHER EARTH AND HER LOVERS' REPAIR AND MAINTENANCE
Workshop: Saturday, March 7, 2020 at CMU, MHC Gallery 9 AM to 3:30 PM
Come for a day of performance and workshops, listening and small group conversations, as we are showered with the best songs, stories and poems about the WATERY ANIMALLY EARTH. Her wonders, her wounding, her defense and her mending will be sung and said with the help of SINGERS Don Amero, Greg Allan; STORYTELLERS Cree Elder Stan McKay, Jamie Oliviero; POETS Dennis Cooley, Karen Clavelle.
This all happens in the company of 60 plus paintings, photographs, drawings, salted with poems on the theme MOTHER EARTH AND HER LOVERS: REPAIR AND MAINTENANCE. Artist storyteller Bob Haverluck will introduce us to the artworks.
We get to choose one morning and one afternoon stand alone workshop, which give us more songs, poems, stories to muse over together and put in our medicine bag for these challenging times. A boat of songs, stories, poems to keep us buoyant in troubled waters? These more intimate workshops will be led by our host of performers.
- In the morning or afternoon, join with storyteller Jamie O. and artist Mirae Young in making a story in a hand cranky visual form.
- In the AM. Stan and Don team with story and song to explore how we are one with all our relatives of the watery animally earth.
- In the PM, Stan and Don lead a group in crafting lullabies for young and old in our time.
- Cooley and Clavelle will offer a little treasury of timely poems to muse over together and help us explore our own writing.
- Singer song leader Greg Allan will lead us through songs from the "Rise Up Singing" and "Rise Again" songbooks for radicals in the AM.
- In the PM, besides having us singing, Greg will have us writing some new verses for old gems.
- Haverluck workshop "Stories and Planning laughter loaded Actions for Change" in the PM.
We begin our day together at 9 AM with coffee and muffins and conclude at 3:30 PM. Lunch is included.
Cost is $20 for the day or what you offer.
The day is hosted by Home Street Mennonite Church climate Action Group with financial support from the estate of song and earth loving Joey Zarecki.
Registrater by emailing email@example.com or phone Selenna at 204-487-3300 ext. 344.
Sunday afternoon coffee houses at the Gallery, 2:00–4:30 PM
February 9 | Songs, Hymns, and Stories in Defence of Creation
Drawing on the wisdom of many faith traditions, this will be an afternoon of preforming stories, songs and lots of singing along.
March 1 | Poems, Stories, and Songs Cancelled
March 8 | Building an Ecological Activist Book of Songs, Stories, and Poems
Songs DON AMERO, Poetry DENNIS COOLEY, Story JAMIE OLIVIERO, with singer GREG ALLAN, poet GERRY WOLFRAM, story BOB HAVERLUCK
Free will donations (toward honorariums)
Click thumbnails to view full images